Monday, July 9, 2007

The beets have spoken

The golden beets I got at the market Saturday are so beautiful I have to paint them. I don't think I can do them justice, but I'm willing to try. I think I have to paint some purple ones with them for contrast, and their leaves are so beautiful. I've been thinking about them and looking at them since Saturday. Thinking about their earthiness, but stunned by their color.
I read Michael Wilcox's book "Blue and Yellow don't make Green" yesterday, and am eager to try out what I've learned. His book, "The Wilcox Guide to the Best Watercolor Paints" made a big impact on me. The guy is certainly thorough. His section in the scientific aspects of color and color mixing was of great interest to me. Because I often mix my paint in a puddle of clear water on my paper, I found the section on surface mixing the scientific explanation for what I have been doing intuitively. This book may be too abstract or too physics based for many artists, but it's worth the struggle if you have an interest in color and color theory. I've read a number of books on color theory and this one has a unique approach.